Monday, June 2, 2014

6 Weeks in Mexico!!!

Hola!
 
This week was good but this weekend was my favorite part because we got to participate in the baptism of one of the young investigators of my Zone.
His name is Pacho...well that's his nickname and he's only 14 years old. Everything ran really late...by like an hour but that's pretty much the normal around here. =) It felt like half the ward showed up to support him, we ran out of seats! They had two young members of the ward bear their testimonies and one of the Hermana's in our ward gave a spiritual thought. I had no idea what they said but the Spirit entered the room with such a wonderful peace. Then Pacho was baptized. It was a wonderful moment to watch him step in the water for the first time. The poor kid had to be baptized twice, which was a shame mostly because the first time he got a nose full of water. It was the first time baptizing someone for the member and he didn't help Pacho hold his nose when he went under the water. Despite this, when Pacho later shared his testimony there was such a wonderful Spirit there and it actually made me tear up a little. 
 
So, my companion and I have really been having a hard time with contacting in the street, especially this last week. The sad thing is once you stop talking to people, it feels almost impossible to start. Anyway, I got a pep-talk from my district leader when he called to hear our sad numbers and I was determined on Sunday to contact every person I saw. When I walked out of the house I started pumping myself up with, "I can do this. I can contact. They're my brothers and sisters, I can do this." "Like Elder Guinn said last night, they're probably more afraid of you than you are of them. They're like spiders. I can take on spiders any day. I can do this." Amazingly enough....there was just about no one in the street on our way to the Metro, which we take to church. Seriously?
Then we got on the Metro which is a bus system here in the city a lot like the Trax back at home. I gave a big smile to a lady I didn't know and said, "Buenas Tardes." She moved over so that I could take a seat and I thanked her. After sitting down I kept thinking, " I need to talk to this woman. I need to talk to this woman. How? What should I say? I like her purse. I could compliment her on her purse. Great idea! Now, how do I say that in Spanish? Hmm, okay, got it. Now just say it. Now just say it. Go on, say it!" That's about when I started praying, "Heavenly Father, please help me tell this woman I like her purse." He gave me the help I needed to open my mouth and say my thoughts. I had to repeat it a couple of times and point a little before she understood what I was trying to say. We talked a little bit about it and I asked where she was going. After a little bit of small talk that I kinda understood, we just sat and enjoyed the ride. After a few minutes, she started talking to me! :D She asked where I was from and I told her and then worked my way into why I was in Mexico and my purpose as a missionary. 
 
By the time we got to church I was so excited that I had made a contact and was jumping up and down and just grinning from ear to ear. A few of the members were concerned but my companion explained that I was just happy to be a missionary. =) We didn't get a mountain of contacts that day but we continued to see little miracles, like a less active member who doesn't want anything to do with the church talking to us for over 45 minutes! =D We were pretty excited. =)
 
We ate lunch with a member couple that have a reeeally nice house. It was so nice that my companion and I didn't want to leave...but we did...eventually. =) It's funny how you forget the comfort you were raised in until you go there again. They had grass...like really nice grass that you just want to lay on and sleep. I almost cried. I actually took off my shoes, just for a moment so that I could feel it. The members were super amazing too. The wife is from Mexico and the husband is from Arizona. You can definitely tell too because he's about 6' 4" and whiter than I am. He's hilarious. Oh and they fed us the Mexican version of sweet potatoes!!! This was momentous because every time someone asks me what my favorite American food is, I spend the next 10 minutes trying to help them understand what and just how delicious sweet potato fries are.
 
Oh! Mom! you asked me a couple of weeks ago if I've eaten any weird fruit like the fruit Tim Turley's son showed us and yes! I have! It's called Pitahaya.
 
It's super delicious and is like a watermelon and a strawberry had a baby.  I've eaten at least 5 in the last week. :)
 
 
 
 
 

I got to see Hermana Ibarra on Friday..it was awesome. I miss her sometimes and she misses me sometimes too but she's doing great in her area and with her companion. I'm so proud and excited for her. =)

 
 
 
This is the place we go to write on the computer every Monday.
 
The is just something that makes me smile..everyday when I pass it on the street. =)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I love you all!!! Have a wonderful week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment